Saturday, July 25, 2009

Crying Flyers

I've only flown twice in my entire life. I don't remember the first time, but this most recent venture made me realize that children should not fly on airplanes. I know it's not the most original thought in the world, but it has to be said.

Flying to Vegas, there was a single mother whose two very young children were crying and screaming almost the entire time. At some point, I just wished a flight attendant would make the woman do something. Yes, I do feel sorry for her. There's nothing she can do. There was also a woman who had two kids who were somewhere between five and eight years old. They were jumping up and down in their seats and at one point, the man behind them stood up and scolded them. That might have been out of line for him to do, but the mother was not doing anything to stop their misbehavior. On the flight back their were several groupings of babies and small children crying.

It's not the child's fault; they don't know what is going on. The parent(s), usually a single mother, is left helpless trying to calm don the screaming child. The flight attendants refuse to say anything to the parent(s). Something must be done to stop this.

Unfortunately, the only solution I can think of is to ban children under the age of ten from flying. I suppose the only other option would be to put them with the luggage or put them in little dog carriers. But most people would find that inhumane.

If you want to travel with your kids, drive. That simply is the most courteous option for other fliers. Don't simply think about the travel time. Think about the other people on the plane who are trying to get through a flight without feeling the urge to kill a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment